Tuesday, 19 January 2010
If you can use a screwdriver you can increase your broadband speed at no cost.
I must first stress - I take no responsibility what so ever for any losses, damage, or anything else as result of you reading this blog or following my instructions (or if after your broadband is slow).
Before starting test the speed of your current broadband connection: CLICK HERE now, for a recommended Speed Check Gadget. It'll open safely in a new window/tab. Note this down this speed down, and be sure to feedback your speed increase when you're finished!
Let us press on with speeding up your internet connection!
1) Identify your master phone socket, this is the first socket in your house fitted by the telecoms provider, normally bearing their logo, if it has a two part front, like in this photo it's very likely an NTE5, if it has a solid front then it's against the law for you to touch it, and possibly fix poor Internet speed. Assuming you have an NTE5 split face master socket carry on...
2) Remove the lower part of the face plate by undoing the two short screws. Note you must not tamper with the piece left on the wall.
3) You're going to remove the bell wire. The bell wire (or Ring Wire) is a hang over from when extra current was needed to ring the bells on old fashioned phones, this wire is no longer needed and it creates a lot of RF reducing your broadband speed. Bell wire removal should not effect any of your other phone services.
The bell wire (or ring wire as it maybe known) is located in the number "3" slot - normally Orange and White, give it a tug (pliers help) out of the slot.
You should as in this photo, leave behind two wires connected to slots 2 and 5.
4) Tidy away the spare wires and replace the front part of the socket.
5) Restart your router - and when it's up and running, check your new sync speed! Hopefully it's improved!!
Also check your phones work - if there is an issue it's easy enough to slot the bell wire back in, you can buy for a pound or so a tool known as an IDC to push the wire down, or carefully push it in with the back of a stanley knife. Bell Wire removal (or ring wire removal) may even improve the quality of your voice calls.
6) Important, now leave your router on for 3 Days, the local phone exchange will automatically improve your IP profiling after seeing a higher router speed for at least 3 days. This is called IP Profiling. It's only after this wait will you see a real improvement in speed when surfing the internet. Then test again using the same speed test as before (to minimise other effects).
There you go the Bell Wire Fix hopefully you now have a Quicker Internet Connection.
Be sure to bookmark this page now (Click here to add this page to your favorites), so you can come back in 3 days time, re-test your speed and please leave a comment - thanks. If it works spread the word to remove bell wire.
(if your internet performance doesn't improve that may indicate an issue elsewhere in your wiring. You can test for this my removing the front panel of the master socket, and connecting via a ADSL filter your router into the master test socket ("m" on the 2nd photo), this bypasses all extension wiring and connects you to the best possible connection to the exchange. Restart your router and check the speed.)